Saturday, May 12, 2012

Ag

If you're from a city you don't really think about where your meat comes from. What do you mean, where does it come from? It comes from the meat section of the store, wrapped in plastic! That's how I thought until we moved to this part of the country, where real people raise real animals, for real eating - cows, goats, pigs. This is a process. The animal is born, fed, then sold and prepared. While it's being fed and taken care of - exercised, groomed perhaps for show - people can't help but get somewhat attached to the creatures. Or at least have some experiences with them.

Ornery is really the word for goats. I think it's possible that particular word might've been invented at the same time as goats were. They practically own the concept (see the personification I'm beginning). They butt, they try to chew or eat everything, they bash into things. They each have a kind of personality.

Now, if you're thinking at all that I'm getting around to advocating vegetarianism, I'm actually not. But it's all interesting and made me think more recently, about how the Native Americans had some kind of ceremony after each animal was killed for food. They would pause and be thankful for each part, for the sustenance, for the successful hunt. Expressing gratitude for the gift. So I guess I am advocating, or at least thinking about less consumption and more appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment